Celebrate Festival Of Lights Diwali near Russell Square Hotels
Diwali is a festival celebrated by Hindus, Jains and Sikhs around the World. It falls between the month of September and October. The festival is known to celebrate the win of good over evil and light over dark. The safe return of Lord Rama with his dear wife Sita from a 14 year long exile after defeating the demon ‘Ravana’ is commemorated through this festival. Diwali includes various rituals and family activities. The art of making coloured patterns on the floor, called ‘rangoli’ is displayed during this time.
The city of London comes together to celebrate Diwali with pomp and show. Trafalgar square situated near Russell Square hotels holds a big function with a backing from the Mayor. Read more about this upcoming event below!
16th October 2011
From 2 pm till 7 pm
About The Event
· This festival of lights is celebrated by various contemporary dance performances, Indian songs, especially Bollywood beats and competitions.
· Garba and Dandia, folk dances from India, are performed on the beats of thumping music.
· The whole area is decorated with electric lights, diyas (oil lamps), and candles. Enormous lanterns are also hung to pep up the mood.
· The Opening ceremony includes lighting of lamps and announcing the Diwali messages like the one given by the Mayor.
· Stage shows take place where the performers entertain the audience with their dance moves. Theatrical displays take part too.
· Devotional songs are played while praying to the god and goddesses for blessings.
· Saris, a garment worn by traditional South Asian Women, are given out to people free of cost on first come first serve basis.
· Stalls are put up, which sell bindis, bangles, anklets and many other such goodies. You can get henna applied in various designs and styles on your hands from experts at these stalls.
· Vegetarian delights of various kinds are sold along with drinks and refreshments.
· The grand finale includes a spectacular show of fireworks, which are always a major part of any Diwali celebration.
Being a part of the Diwali celebrations at Trafalgar Square is an unforgettable experience. Tourists should make sure to attend this upcoming festival while staying at London hotels.
- Cheap Russell Square Hotels near Shaftesbury Theatre Starting from Just £45
- Family-Friendly Russell Square Hotels Take Extra Care of Little Guests
- Perfect Russell Square Hotels to Stay for a Girls Weekend in London
- Enjoy an Invigorating Sauna Bath at Luxury Russell Square Hotels
- Luxury Suites at Russell Square Hotels to Live like Royals
- â–º 2013 (5)
- â–º 2012 (47)
- â–º 2011 (23)
- â–º 2010 (18)
- â–º 2009 (7)